Adventure enthusiasts all over the world crave adventure watersports. India’s tourism industry has been gearing up to attract these enthusiasts to come and try the adventures along with the rich culture and heritage of India. With a plethora of water bodies including beaches, backwaters, rivers, etc, you can find a good number of places for water sports in India.
Take a look at the different water sports offered all over India
Coracle Ride, Hampi, Karnataka
A coracle ride through the mighty Tungabhadra river is an exciting experience. A coracle is a rounded cane boat, which was a means of travel back in the olden days. In one go, around six to eight people can enjoy the ride. The rainy season can be pretty dangerous for a coracle ride, and that is why it is shut down during the rain.
- It is ideal to take the ride either at dawn or at dusk.
- The river does not have any crocodiles; it’s 30 ft deep.
- You can see langurs on the way. It’s hardly a disturbance if you do not have any food in your hand or in visibility.
The prices are according to the time of ride; 30 minutes can cost you INR 150, and for an hour-long ride it will come up to INR 300. It all depends on your bargaining skills.
River Rafting, Rishikesh
An enthralling white-water rafting experience through the gorges of Ganga is for every adventurist. There are expert instructors who ensure the safety of everyone who takes up river rafting. There are exciting routes that are either 9km, 16km, or 25km rides. The timing of river rafting is from 7:00 PM to 3:00 PM. The best times to go rafting are from February to May; October and November.
- The activity is suitable for ages 14 years to 60 years.
- It is advised to reach there early in the morning.
- There are changing rooms at the end of the rafting.
The minimum charge for river rafting is around INR 429 for two hours.
River Rafting, Dandeli, Karnataka
The river rafting trail in Dandeli stretches for about 12 km. It takes 3 hours to 4 hours. The months between October and January are the best times to go rafting in Dandeli, even though it is a year-round destination.
- Age group: 14 to 60 years old and weighing less than 110 kg
- Non-swimmers can also indulge in rafting.
- No locker facilities are available near the rafting point. Do not carry any valuables.
The price of rafting in Dandeli starts from INR 900 per head.
Snorkeling, Andaman, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Andaman is a year-round destination. Even then, it is good to go snorkelling during the winter months. The seven best places to deck for snorkelling are Elephant Beach, Red Skin Island, North Bay Island, South Button, Kalipur, Neil Island, and Henry Lawrence Island. The best time to visit is during the months of November to May.
- Book a snorkelling guide before visiting the Island.
- Check the quality of the equipment given for snorkelling
- Learn the gestures during the snorkelling training
The cost of snorkelling ranges from INR 700 to INR 1500.
Jet Skiing, Goa
Jet skiing in Goa can be enjoyed at Baga Beach, Candolim Beach, Anuja Beach, and Calangute Beach.
The best time to go jet skiing is from the month of October to April. The hours are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Should carry a swimming costume.
- If you do not know how to swim, ride during calmer weather.
- If you haven’t ridden a jet ski before, it is ideal to jet ski with a guide.
The adventure costs around INR 400 for five minutes and up to INR 1500 for 15 minutes.
You might also like to know the must-visit places in Goa
Catamaran Ride, Chennai
The Catamaran Ride is a low-adrenaline ride through the pristine waters of Chennai. Float around the sea with your family and friends. It is ideal to go during calmer weather. The rides are available from 10:00 AM to 7:30 PM. The starting point is ECR.
- The minimum age to go for a ride is 18 years.
- Wear comfortable clothing. No sarees.
- Avoid consuming heavy food before and after the ride.
The cost of the ride is approximately INR 950 for 30 minutes.
Bamboo Rafting, Wayanad, Kerala
Bamboo rafting at Kuruva Island is a very exquisite experience. Kuruva Island in the Wayanad district of Kerala is a protected river delta that is home to rare animals and avian species. The timing of the ride is from 9 AM to 3 PM. Avoid the rainy season.
- Ask for a life jacket.
- Do not bring in valuables.
- Carry a light towel.
- Allowable age range: 12 to 45 years old, with a weight range of 40kg to 110kg.
The cost of bamboo rafting starts from INR 900 approx.
Kite Surfing, TamilNadu
Tamil Nadu has two locations that are the best choices for going kitesurfing. Rameshwaram Island and Manapad. The ideal time to make a visit is from June to September for Rameswaram Island and from December to March for Manapad.
Tip: Beginners need to take a class before going kitesurfing.
A weekend lesson on kitesurfing costs around INR 8,250.
Banana Boat Ride, Gokarna, Karnataka
Banana boat ride is one of the most exciting rides for kids and adults alike. The best spots to go banana boat riding are Om Beach and Gokarna Beach. The best time to go on a banana boat ride is from October to March.
Tip: Heavy food and alcohol consumption before the ride is prohibited.
The cost for a 15-minute ride comes to around INR 600.
Scuba Diving, Murudeshwar, Karnataka
Scuba diving at Netrani Island, which is a 70-minute thrilling boat ride away from Murudeshwar. The best time to visit is during the months of December and January. It is necessary to take instructions from the diving centre.
- Should be medically fit.
- Check the quality of the diving equipment.
- Diving at Daytime
The cost of scuba diving is INR 5000 for two-three hours.
River Rafting, Ladakh, J&K
Scenic beauty with water sports; what a combo! The river rafting on the Zanskar starts from June till August. The rafting routes are graded according to their intensity.
- Can be taken as a private tour
- Extra set of clothes
The cost of river rafting starts for grade 2 rafting from INR 1500 to INR 1800 for two hours.
Wakeboarding is a popular water sport in Goa. Wakeboarding is where the rider stands on a board with foot bindings; the board is towed around by a motorboat. The best season to go wakeboarding is from October to May.
- If you are a beginner, use shorter ropes.
- Distribute your weight evenly on the board.
- Don’t pull on the ropes; it will make you fall into the water.
The cost for five people comes to INR 8,500 for one hour.
White water rafting, Kolad, Maharashtra
The white water rafting in the Kundalika river is a 14 km stretch that can be covered in one and half hours. It’s ideal to not go rafting during the monsoon season.
- Arrange with the tour provider for clean drinking water.
- Carry a first-aid kit
- Take the package raft distance after careful consideration of the people taking part in the rafting session.
- Bathing suits and comfortable footwear with a grip
Beginners in rafting can choose the months from December to March. Cut-throat adventurers can take advantage of the rainy season, which is from June to September. The cost of the activity starts from INR 1500 per head; you can travel as a team of around five to six people.
Parasailing, Varkala, Kerala
Varkala is a beach paradise in Kerala. Parasailing in Varkala is the favourite water sport among tourists. The monsoon season is not very welcoming for parasailing.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- No heavy food or consumption of alcohol is ideal before parasailing.
- Pregnant women and people with other ailments shouldn’t attempt it.
The ideal time to parasail is from December to February. The cost of the activity is INR 1000 per head.
Banana Boat Ride, Goa, Maharashtra
This is one of the popular water sports where you can enjoy it together with family and friends. The best season is from October to March.
- Check the quality of the safety gear.
- Have a first aid kit on hand.
- Keep extra pair of clothes
The cost is approximately INR 1399 per person, with a minimum of four people required.
Kayaking, Alleppey, Kerala
Kayaking through the serene backwaters through the lush greenery side by side is a surreal experience. The best time for kayaking is from October to March.
- If you are a beginner, get yourself a lesson in kayaking.
- Invest in proper clothes
- Ensure that the life jacket is of good quality.
The cost for the activity for four hours is INR 1500 per person.
Under Sea Walking, Andaman, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
This is one of the safest ways to explore sea life, you do not even need to know how to swim. The best season to go underwater walking is from December to February.
- Make sure your headgear works fine.
- Learn the basic signs to use underwater.
The cost of the activity comes to around INR 4,000 per person.
Kneeboarding, Goa, Maharashtra
The best season to go kneeboarding is from October to March. It is an extreme sort of adventure sport.
- The type of board chosen should be based on the level of understanding.
- Beginners need to take plastic boards, and experts can go for fiberglass boards.
- Communicate with the towing boat in case you are uncomfortable with the speed.
The cost of the activity for ten minutes is INR 1800 per person.
Glass Bottom Boating, Andaman, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
It is an enjoyable water sport without any complications, which can be enjoyed at Jolly Buoy Island. The best time to enjoy this ride is from December to February.
- Carry your own food and water as the island does not have any eateries.
- An underwater camera if you want to capture pictures of coral reefs.
The cost of the activity is INR 500 per person for two to three hours.
Parasailing, Kovalam, Kerala
If you are looking for the best place for water sports in India, Kovalam is a must-try spot. Kovalam is one of the most picturesque destinations and a tourist favourite. Parasailing in Kovalam is a must-try water sports activity in India. Located in Trivandrum, the capital city of Kerala, the lush green and the sandy beach themselves make you yearn for the parasailing adventure. It is recommended in all seasons except the rainy season, which is basically June – July; it is essential to have a round-up with the tour guide before booking. P
- Consumption of alcohol is not permitted before parasailing advent
- Children over 8 years old can go.
- People who have heart, neck, or bone-related ailments are advised to not take part in the sport.
- Tourists need to show a photo ID for age verification.
The parasailing adventure costs Rs. 2500 approx. for each person.